January 25, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper & Mushroom Egg Casserole


We have chickens....seven of them.  In the winter the amount of eggs we get everyday drops off, so right now we get anywhere from 2-5 eggs a day.  For a family of three, that's a lot of eggs.  Whenever I accumulate too many I give them away to my step-daughter, friends, or co-workers.  Needless to say, sometimes I STILL have too many eggs!  That's when I make egg casseroles for breakfast or crust-less quiches for dinner. 

Here is my latest concoction.  I used apple chicken sausage because I love the sweet & savory combination, however if you are at all iffy about it, just use regular sausage.  Easy, filling and hits the spot on a cold winter morning....like today, it was -8 degrees when I left for work!  Luckily, or maybe not so luckily, my car still started.  Brrrr!!!  My husband, who is not the biggest fan when it comes to liking sweet & savory combinations, tried this and surprised me by saying he really liked it!  Go figure....give it a try and maybe it'll surprise you too!

  
Roasted Red Pepper & Mushroom Egg Casserole 
  
1 cup Montery Jack cheese 
1 tbsp flour    
6 links of apple chicken sausage, cut into small bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced or chopped

1/2 small onion, chopped
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
1 cup Cheddar cheese
8 eggs
1/2 cup milk

Cook sausage, drain and set aside.   Mean-while, in another small pan, saute the onions and mushrooms in 1 tbsp of butter until onions are translucent, about 20 minutes.  In a medium bowl mix eggs with milk until well blended.  Spread Montery Jack cheese in bottom of greased 9 x 11 (or an 8x8 dish) casserole dish.  Sprinkle the flour over cheese.  Layer sausage, onion & mushroom mixture and roasted red peppers,
then pour in the egg mixture.  Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.  Cover and let set overnight in the fridge for at least 12 hours, longer is fine.  Cook at 350 for about 45 minutes or until eggs are set in the middle.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Little B Books, I want to start by telling you I have a meat and potatoes man. I am new to your site and first tried your Balsamic Pot Roast. I am not much for crock-pots, but wow was I surprised and delighted. My husband loved it and is still eating the left overs. Tonight I made your Sun dried Tomato Chicken and I was so surprised but he loved that too and of course I did. Tomorrow I am thinking of making your Mexican Syle Stuffed Peppers. Thank you Little B for taking the time to make the recipes clear and pictures to go with. You're the best and I am glad I found you site. I would love to make some of your "goodies", but with the holidays over, trying to stay on track with somewhat of a diet. ha-ha. Take care and thanks again.
    Trisha Smith trishtlk@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Trisha - such a nice comment! I am so glad you are enjoying the site and the recipes (your husband too). Both my husband & son fall into that meat & potatoes category also, so it can be challenging at times to find things they like. The Island Pork tenderloin recipe is a favorite of all of ours - it's a sweet & spicy (but not too spicy) flavor and it's amazing (not an original recipe by me, but it's been a big hit when I make it for people & on this site). Thank you for taking the time to comment & I hope you find many more recipes you both like ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it will be any surprise that I LOVE this recipe! The sweet and savoury flavour combinations are perfect, in fact I'm making this dish this morning!! Thanks for sharing such a tasty breakfast recipe..

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete