April 13, 2012

Creamed Spinach


Happy Friday the 13th!  This Easter I decided to try and make creamed spinach.  I really love creamed spinach, but I have never attempted to make it at home....not sure why!  Probably because I thought I was the only one who would like it.  When I mentioned to my husband I was making it to go with Easter dinner he didn't seem impressed, but I think that's because he had never tried it before.  Normally I don't pick a new recipe to try for a holiday meal in case it turns out to be a disaster.  This year however, I was pretty confident it would turn out just fine.

Lucky for me, everyone really like it!  I am thrilled to have found another side dish that my family is happy to eat.  Spinach can be bland, and I'm sure that's the thought that was going through my husbands mind when I mentioned making it.  This recipe, adapted from Ina Garten, is anything but bland.  Another recipe to add to my collection - YAY!

Creamed Spinach

1 large onion, chopped
4 tbsp butter
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ cup flour
3 lbs (5, 10 oz packages) frozen chopped spinach, defrosted & well drained
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup grated Gruyere cheese
Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 

Melt the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat and add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the flour and nutmeg and cook while stirring, for 2 more minutes. Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened. After squeezing out as much liquid as possible from the spinach, add it to the sauce and stir to combine. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top. Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly. Serves 8. 

2 comments:

  1. I this on Pinterest and it looks so good! I ate wonderful cream spinach at a restaurant this past weekend and this sounds like it might be a similar dish. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is delicious - I highly recommend trying it. It's a great side dish for an Easter dinner as well. Thanks for stopping by & commenting!

    ReplyDelete