April 7, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Pie


Hope you like the new look of the blog.  It still needs some tweaking but it's getting there.  I get bored easily, and I was sick of looking at those fall leaves!  I'll probably change the look of my blog once in a while, but I'll keep the layout the same.  Hopefully it won't confuse anyone :)

I love one dish meals.  There is something so appealing about having all the elements of a meal thrown into one dish, especially on a busy weeknight!  This chicken enchilada pie is awesome.  My husband does not care for chicken enchiladas, but for some reason he likes this dish.....go figure. My son and I both love chicken enchiladas and we both love this dish.  It's a nice change from the meat and potatoes type dinners we usually have.  It also fits the bill for an easy weeknight one dish meal AND it's husband approved - can't get better than that!

Chicken Enchilada Pie

1, 15 oz can of tomato puree
1 & ¼ tablespoons of chili powder
½ tbsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
¼ cup olive oil
2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
1 15 oz can black beans
8 oz Monterey Jack cheese
8 tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup scallions, chopped

In a large bowl whisk together the first five ingredients.  Spray a pie plate with cooking spray, then spread ½ a cup of the sauce mixture in the bottom of the baking dish.  Lay 3 tortillas on top of the sauce, then spread the chicken evenly over the tortillas.  Next spread ½ of the beans and ½ of the Monterey Jack cheese on top of the chicken.  Place 3 more tortillas and spread another ½ cup of the sauce and layer on the rest of the chicken, beans and Monterey Jack cheese.  Top with the last 2 tortillas and the remainder of the sauce.  Place in oven and cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.  Spread the cheddar cheese on top and bake for another 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and sprinkle the green onions on top. 

Cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Great timing. I just found your blog on foodgawker. I bought ingredients to make chicken enchiladas at Trader Joe's yesterday and told my husband I would be making them. He wasn't all that excited, but I think your recipe may turn him around. Plus, it sounds so easy which will be great help to me.

    Am I right to assume you used corn tortillas? I hope so because that's what I have on hand. I love that you used black beans! Thanks so much for the post.

    BTW, although I don't know what the earlier version of your blog looked like, I like this one. Thanks for helping me resolve my enchilada dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think corn tortillas are best in this dish, but really you can you use any kind you like. Good luck, hope you love it as much as we do!

      Delete
  2. I just found you on Foodgawker too. I love one-dish meals and make them all the time for my family. I started my blog at the about the same time as you and am still trying to get my photos onto Foodgawker so congratulations. My main problem is that it is now dark in New Zealand when I cook dinner and so have to use artificial light. I will conquer it one day. I love the sound of this enchilada recipe and I'm going to follow you to check out your recipes for my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that problem when I started also, but don't give up! Since it was winter when I started my blog finding natural light at dinner was impossible, so I would often end up taking pictures the next day using left overs. While the food doesn't look as good, it was the only solution I could come up with. Thanks for following and I will pop over to your blog and do the same! Happy blogging :)

      Delete
    2. Try using a daylight-balanced bulb. (They have a blue coating.) The light looks completely natural, with none of the yellow cast that regular bulbs have. Cheers!!

      Delete
  3. Love the new look, and love the gorgeous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fellow VTer here. Really enjoyed this recipe and definitely plan to make it again in the future, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete


  6. I want to tell the world about a great man called Dr. Robinson buckler cured my husband and I from Herpes simplex with herbal medicine. My husband and I have was suffering from Herpes simplex for the past four (4) years. We have tried so many solutions with no result. One fateful day while browsing through the internet I saw a testimony of a client who got cured from herpes by Dr. Robinson buckler through herbal medicine so I decided to give a try. A try that changed our life for good. I contacted Dr. Robinson buckler and he sent some herbal medicine to us, which we took for 14 days. It was a great surprise when we went for a test and the test result came out negative., Dr. Robinson buckler brought joy into my family again. His result is 100% guaranteed. certainly the best online. YESS! SO.MUCH.YES. I love this, it’s exactly what i prayed for!.. it’s unbelievable! ....Thank you!! Very well!.. You contact him on his email. [Robinson.buckler@yahoo.com].....

    ReplyDelete